In 1852 Gustav Theissen and John James laid out the town site and named it Boerne in honor of Ludwig Boerne, a German author and publicist. Boerne developed the reputation of having a very healthful environment and quickly became a health resort with the arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in 1887.
Holy Angels Academy Catholic School 1896 - in/near Boerne
The early German residents of Boerne would have their children first attend a local Catholic school for one or two years to be trained to learn about their religion. Holy Angels Academy began it's schooling in 1899. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word began the schools and also the medical facilities (sanitariums) in the Boerne area. This building was torn down in 1930.
A facility used for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). One of the founders of this sanitarium was Dr. Ferdinand Herff, a prominent early German settler in Boerne. Dr. Herff was instrumental in getting the railroad from San Antonio to Boerne which would help get his patients to Boerne. Boerne was a center for the treatment of TB due to its fresh air as at this point there were no antibiotics for TB. This building was torn down in 1930.
This resort / home still stands today and was recently renovated to the times of its prime. Originally built as the home for Joseph Phillip. Some years after his death it became a hotel. As the German community used Ye Kendall Inn on the north side of Boerne as their resort area the English used the Phillip Manor as their resort area. Teddy Roosevelt stayed here while he was assembling his Rough Riders.
Boerne Village Band - 1890 This is the oldest continuous German band outside of Germany that still plays outdoor concerts each summer in the Boerne park. Music was very important to the German settlers - many bringing their instruments with them when they came from Germany.
Built in 1888 with opera being the popular entertainment of the times. As vaudeville (comedic acts, song and dance/burlesque) became popular the Opera House became a vaudeville stage and was renamed the Plaza Theatre. As the "talkie" pictures became popular vaudeville faded and the Opera House became a movie theater. In 1966 the Opera House was torn down and the Ebner Pharmacy built their shop there. This photo (1910) shows the Boerne Gesang Verein singing club - that was begun to compliment the Boerne German band.