Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908 (Comfort)
Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908-1909 - In picture left to right, unknown, unknown, Richard Schladoer, Eddy Allerkamp, Henry Allerkamp, Richard Doebbler, Rudolph Allerkamp - building the Allerkamp Store on High St., in Comfort.
This resort / home still stands today and was recently renovated to the times of its prime. Originally built as the home for Joseph Phillip. Some years after his death it became a hotel. As the German community used Ye Kendall Inn on the north side of Boerne as their resort area the English used the Phillip Manor as their resort area. Teddy Roosevelt stayed here while he was assembling his Rough Riders.
The town was laid out by Ernst Hermann Altgelt along the banks of the Cypress Creek above its confluence with the Guadalupe River. Freemasons, freethinkers, and political activists from Bettina and Sisterdale settled the area. The town was a center of Union sentiment during the Civil War and lost many young men at the battle of the Nueces in 1862.
Adler store 1918 - Snow! This location later became Bergmann Lumber & hardware. The streets had only recently been paved for the first time. The wooden built stores in this area burned down in the early 1900s.